So our due date, Thursday October 6th, arrived and still no baby. We were anxious about our afternoon appointment to find out if I had made any more progress toward labor. The baby looked great on the monitor and I was contracting about every 6 minutes on my own, but not feeling any pain. Upon my exam, my cervix had not changed, so the midwife swept my membranes again to potentially encourage further dilation. We requested to be scheduled for an induction at 41wks because I was already one week into my maternity leave and going crazy with all of my free-time. However, due to the volume of pregnant woman here on base, the induction schedule was booked until October 17th so we were scheduled for that date (but of course hoping that I would go into labor LONG before that day!). After leaving our appointment around 1pm, Jason returned to work and I went down to my office to visit with friends and check my email. While talking with co-workers, I felt a slow leaking begin. Having just been examined and because the baby was so low, I assumed that I had peed on myself due to the increased pelvic pressure. I quickly left the office for home so as not to embarrass myself with wet pants!
Upon arriving home, I realized that I continued to leak fluid even after using the restroom. It occured to me that my water may have broken, but I thought it almost too good to be true! I started to gather a few final things for our hospital bag and gave Jason a call at work. He said he would come home and I called labor and delivery to let them know that we would be coming in for evaluation. I took a deep breath as we left the house, realizing that there was a very strong likelihood that we would not return as a family of two.
We arrived at the hospital about 5pm and after being evaluated for SROM (spontaneous rupture of membranes), we were admitted to L&D...our baby was officially on his way!!
No comments:
Post a Comment